Call for Paper: The 17th IALIC conference
The 17th International Conference of the
International Association for Languages and Intercultural Communication
Edinburgh Napier University, UK
19 – 20 June 2017
This conference invites both theoretical contributions and empirical insights which contest the notion of ‘third space’ and enrich this area of inquiry. Abstracts are invited in relation (but not limited) to the sub-themes suggested below:
- discursive / narrative constructions of Self and Other
- performance of linguistic and cultural resources
- ethnographic accounts of emergent patterns of meaning and practice in the ‘third space’
- (re)conceptualisation of interculturality vis-à-vis the ‘third space’
- current usage of ‘third space’ and related concepts in intercultural communication theory and research
- possible implications of the ‘third space’ for social and educational policies and practices
Proposals will be in the format of individual papers for 20-minute presentations.
Please note that there will be two ‘Paper-for-Publication’ panel sessions for doctoral students to present their working papers aimed for publication and receive feedback from invited discussants.
Please submit your proposal in a single Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your proposal should include the following:
- a title
- abstract (no more than 300 words)
- five keywords
- one sentence indicating how your proposal fits with the conference theme (for example, with reference to the sub-themes above)
- each author’s name, institution and a short bio (no more than 150 words)
- an email address for correspondence
- if you are a doctoral student and would like your abstract to be considered for the Paper-for-Publication panel, include the words ‘Paper-for-Publication Panel’ in the subject line of your email
The deadline for submission is 12th Feb 2017.
Notifications of result will be sent out by 19th Mar 2017.
We also invite doctoral students to present an overview or slice of their research in the form of posters. If you intend to bring a poster, please inform Min at email@example.com by 19th Mar and provide your name, email address, affiliation and the title of your poster (you do not need to submit an abstract). We will then arrange a space for your poster to be displayed at the conference.