My name is Nazmi Abdel-Salam Al-Masri from Gaza, Palestine. I studied literature, applied linguistics, and ELT curriculum development in three universities: BA from Birzeit University, West Bank, Palestine; MA from the University of Salford, UK; and PhD from the University of Manchester. The title of my PhD thesis is Developing Learning Materials for Palestinian Learners of English in Gaza. To expand my linguistic and cultural expertise across the two sides of the Atlantic Ocean, I gained an American Fulbright Senior Research Grant for Visiting Scholars where I spent one-year research visit to two American universities: University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign and University of Michigan–Ann Arbor.
Since my graduation from Manchester University in 1993, I have been working at the Islamic University of Gaza (IUG) and teaching several EFL related courses, including Technology in TEFL, Academic Reading, Academic Writing, ELT Methodology and Curriculum Development & Evaluation, Oral Communication. I also delivered a variety of ESP courses for local and international NGOs in Gaza. Additionally, supervise local master students and co-supervise international PhD students in ELT. Plus working with both the British Council and UNRWA (United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees) on delivering in-service teacher training courses, I participated in building the English language curriculum and textbooks used in Palestinian schools.
In addition to teaching, teacher training, I have been working in several senior administrative and academic positions at IUG. Currently I am the Vice President for External Affairs. Serving in these positions has given me the opportunity to participate in several international projects. Here are the recent relevant projects:
- A 3-month pilot collaborative research and writing skill development project: “English for Academic Study Telecollaboration: EAST”, University of Glasgow (May – Sept 2015).
- A 3-year international innovative research project: “Researching Multilingually at the Borders of Language, the Body, Law and the State” University of Glasgow and other British and American universities. (2014-2017).
- An EU-funded Erasmus Mundus project: PHOENIX: Europe-(Palestine, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon) Intercultural Exchange for Internationalization: Research management, student Employability & Academic Excellence- Almeria University, Spain and other 16 EU and Arab universities (2013-2017)
- An EU-funded Tempus IV project: Strengthening Universities-Enterprise linkages in Palestine -(2012 – 2015)
- NORHED Seed Fund Grant (Norway): ‘Improving the Quality of Primary Education in Palestinian schools’ – Vestfold University College (2013)
- Al-Masri, N., Mª Sagrario Salaberri Ramiro and Mª del Mar Sánchez Pérez (2014) ‘Teaching and learning how to plan lessons for EFL classrooms: Implementation of classroom techniques and activities’ in Martínez Agudo, Juan de Dios (Ed.). English as a Foreign Language Teacher Education: Current perspectives and challenges. Rodopi: Amsterdam
- Al-Masri, N. (2012 ) A Model Course for Using Technology in Developing In-Service English Language teachers’ Proficiency and Competence, Proceedings of EDULEARN12 International Conference on Education & New learning Technologies, Barcelona.
- Al-Masri, N. (2012) Evaluating English for Palestine Grade 9: Reading Texts & Exercises. IUG Journal for Educational & Psychological Studies. 20 (1) pp.679 -707.
- Al-Masri, N., et al (2009) Arabic Glossary for TVET Curricula Terms [Arabic-English- French] Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ), Available: http://www.arabtvet.net/index.php?page_id=101
- Al-Masri, N. (2005) Writing Research Papers for Language & Literature Students. Yazji Bookshop, Gaza.
- Al-Masri, N. (2005) Developing an Effective TEFL Course with WebCT. CALL-EJ Online, 7 (1) Available: http://callej.org/journal/7-1/Al-Masri.html
- Al-Masri, N. (2000) Evaluation of University-Developed Writing Sources on the Internet. Proceedings of the 6th EFL Conference, the American University in Cairo.
For more information about my professional expertise and publications, pleases visit my website: http://site.iugaza.edu.ps/nmasri/.